Saturday, January 4, 2014

Unravel

My latest photo titled Unravel leaves questions to what I meant when I decided to create such a weird piece. As an artist I find myself constantly comparing my art to other artists determining if I am better or worse. No matter how hard I try, this damaging habit sneaks itself back into my mind any time I see a photograph. Sometimes it just causes me to Unravel. Comparison is harmful, jealous, and bitter, but what fuels comparison is the strive to be the best. Striving to be great at what you do is what pushes us as humans to constantly better ourselves. It means we don't settle for good enough. 
The most difficult thing for me as an artist is understanding that my best is enough. I hope I never lose the drive to take pictures and work as hard as I can on them, and I hope I never demand so much of myself that I am disappointed when I feel inadequate to another artist. I am not one for new year's resolutions, but this is one that I need to work on for all year and then for the rest of my life because as long as the strive is there the habit of comparison will always be present.

No comments:

Post a Comment